Confident this year I can do it: see all of the feature films and shorts nominated for Academy Awards in the top 24 categories within the six-plus weeks between Noms and Statuettes.
For 2016, there are 42 unique films and 15 shorts.
Given Fifty Shades of Grey is nominated for original song, I will change the rules slightly: I can’t bear to look upon that movie and shall eliminate the pressure to see the five song nominees, rather sampling only their songs. (Besides, “The Hunting Ground” will win that category, thanks, Gaga, and I’ve seen that movie — DONE!)
So, I need to tally only 37 feature films plus 15 shorts.
Score so far: 4/37+0 (11%).
Last year I couldn’t participate, due to homeowner’s woes, but in 2014
I finished with 31/42+15 (74%). In 2013, 23/38+15 (61%). Progress, not perfection, is the goal.
If I manage even 28 features plus all of the shorts, I win. Bundling each of the three shorts categories into four “movies,” as they’re presented at the local arts cinema, translates to consuming about five features a week, easy-peasy.
Here is the list, in order of appearance — as stacked at oscars.org — plus number of multiple nominations by my quick count (pardon errors):
- The Big Short – 5
- Bridge of Spies – 6
- Brooklyn – 3
- Mad Max: Fury Road – 10
- The Martian – 7 (seen it, twice)
- The Revenant – 12
- Room – 4 (read the book)
- Spotlight – 6 (saw it on Thanksgiving)
- Steve Jobs – 2 (saw it on Halloween)
- The Danish Girl – 3 (reading the book)
- Carol – 6
- 45 Years
- The Hateful Eight – 3
- Boy and the World
- Inside Out – 2
- Shaun the Sheep Movie
- When Marnie Was There
- Sicario – 3
- Cartel Land
- The Look of Silence
- What Happened, Miss Simone?
- Winter on Fire: Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens – 5 (saw it on Christmas Eve)
- Embrace of the Serpent
- Son of Saul
- A War
- The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
- Fifty Shades of Grey (song)
- Racing Extinction (song)
- Youth (song)
- The Hunting Ground (song) (seen it twice)
- Spectre (song)
- Ex-Machina – 2
- Straight Outta Compton
- Body Team 12
- Chau, Beyond the Lines
- Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah
- The Girl on the River: The Price of Forgiveness
- Last Day of Freedom
- Bear Story
- Sanjay’s Super Team
- We Can’t Live Without Cosmos
- World of Tomorrow
- Ave Maria
- Day One
- Everything Will Be Okay (Alles Wird Gut)
Fun aside: I was reading my 84-year-old mama the list, and she said, “Oh! Fifty Shades of Grey! I loved that one!”
Upon further probing, turns out she meant Grey Gardens. Phew.